Nevada high school seniors in the graduating class of 2021 with a 2.0 or higher GP may apply for this scholarship. One parent must be an active or retired member in good standing of any local union affiliated with the Nevada State AFL-CIO. Student must be planning to attend a college, university, vocational, or trade school. Five scholarships in the amount of $2,000 each will be offered.
Verification of college enrollment (class schedule) will be required during the summer before the check is mailed to the college. Scholarship funds must be applied toward tuition, fees, and other appropriate educational expenses. These funds will be disbursed in equal payments over two semesters.
- Are you a 2021 Nevada high school graduate?
- Is your parent an active or retired member in good standing of any local union affiliated with the Nevada State AFL-CIO?
- Please list the Local Union & Local Union number of your parent who is an active or retired member in good standing of any local union affiliated with the Nevada State AFL-CIO.
- Statement of your career goals. Please include the name of the school you will be attending after high school and your career goals.
- Essay – 1,000 words minimum – In Nevada, we are increasingly seeing voters change their voter registration away from Republican or Democrat, opting instead to identify as non-partisan (NP). As of March 2021, Nevada had approximately 650,000 Democrats, 540,000 Republicans, and 448,000 non-partisans. The fastest-growing group remains non-partisans, and it likely won’t be long before they are the second-largest political party in the state. However, in making this decision, voters lose the ability to participate in closed primaries that allow only those who identify as either Republican or Democrat to participate. Why do you believe this is taking place? What impact do you believe this growing non-partisan party will have on the labor movement in Nevada? How do you think the growing number of Nevadans unable to vote in primary elections will impact the labor movement’s priorities?
- Please upload your most current transcript (unofficial) here: https://thepef.academicworks.com/opportunities/10157
©2021 Blackbaud, Inc. All rights reserved